To learn how to sail a dinghy The CANSail Training Program is used. It consists of the following progressions:
- For kids 5-8 years old.
- Have fun while learning rigging, balance, sail trim, steering and safety.
- Completed using an Optimist Dinghy.
CANSail 1 & 2
- Introductory programming with a focus on fun, safety and fundamental skills.
- CANSail 1 replaces CYA White Sail I course; and CANSail 2 replaces White Sail II & III courses. These levels of programming are taught by a CANSail 1 & 2 Instructor (or CANSail trained White Sail Instructor).
CANSail 3 & 4
CANSail 3 & 4 progressively builds and develops the skills in CANSail 1 & 2, with a focus on keeping the sailor engaged with stage appropriate challenges and learning.
CANSail 3 replaces Bronze IV & Learn to Race courses, and CANSail 4 replaces Bronze V & Learn to Race courses. These are taught by a CANSail 3 & 4 Instructor (or CANSail trained Bronze Sail Instructor).
CANSail 5 & 6
Programming keeps sailors coming back for more! Skills are consolidated and applied in challenge & complexity is added to result in a sailor with the foundation to carry on in race, leadership, & or specialization.
These programs replace CYA Silver & Gold courses. These levels of programming are taught by a CANSail 5 & 6 Instructor (or CANSail trained LTR Instructor).
CANSail Chutes & Wires
- CANSailChutes and Wires programming teaches the double handed skills to sail with spinnaker & trapeze.
- Counts on the sailor holding foundation of skills and experiences to the CANSail 5 or 6 standard.
- Chutes & Wires 2 trains performance applications of double handed sailing with spinnaker and trapeze.
- These levels of programming are taught by a CANSail Chutes and Wires instructor (or CANSail trained Bronze Sail Instructor).
Dinghy Instructor Program
About the Program
Since 2011, the FVQ has offered a new Intro to Sailing program. This course last a few hours and provides an introduction to sailing, led by "activity guides", who are trained by the FVQ. At the end of the course, an Intro to Sailing certificate is issued to participants. At the moment, only a few summer camps offer the course, but other organisations are expected to soon add this FVQ approved course to their list of programs.
What is CANSail
- CANSail refers to Canada’s updated sailor training standards. CANSail Dinghy is Sail Canada’s dinghy program for clubs to deliver across Canada. CANSail is a leading sail training initiative to foster performance in sailing and life long participation in the sport.
- CANSail programming means lots of time on the water in a safe, fun and active learning environment, with relatively less time spent in a classroom. Sailors learn the skills and enter into fun and challenging experiences suited to their age and stage of development. The programming is designed to get - and keep - sailors excited about sailing for life! 6 CANSail levels of standard promotes teaching and prgressive training of core dinghy sailing skills.
- CANSail is designed to be a set of progressive learn to sail standards focused on providing sailors with a solid foundation of core skills. It allows sailors to learn and progress in any type of boat and consolidates key skills and solid experiences before adding complex skills.